Okay Okay! So, we know wearing a mask while training isn’t ideal and can be annoying and uncomfortable. It may even make us work up more of a sweat, but don’t sweat over it. Also, don’t let it stop you from coming in to train, or going for a run around the block. It can be quite the hassle but it’s not an impossible hurdle, here are some helpful tips on how to start CrossFit with a mask on.
1. Slow down the movement. Yes, it may be frustrating going a little bit slower than normal, but at least you are moving.
2. Take a few more breaks if you need. As coaches, we’re in the same boat, we know how it feels and can totally relate how hard it is to train in a mask compared to normal.
3. Go lighter with your weights. If breathing is a struggle, and lifting heavier makes you out of breath, drop the weight, and go slower on your reps. You’ll still gain the same results since the muscle is under tension longer, but the added benefit is it slows your heart rate down, making it easier to breath.
4. Take big & deep belly breaths. If you’re not sure how to do this, put your hand on your belly, take a big deep breath (belly should expand), then exhale (belly will compress). This will help get your breathing under control, and help consuming more oxygen.
5. Remember to stay hydrated. Masks makes us sweat more, so we may lose a lot of salt and water. Making sure you are drinking more water during your workout and after the workout will help you stay hydrated. Also, Hydralyte can be a good option to help get the salts back into you (losing salt may result in headaches after the session).
Does CrossFit work while wearing a mask? Yes! So please, while we’re still required to wear them, don’t let that stop you from exercising all together. We are in this together, and remember it’s keeping us all safe!
Can’t wait to see everyone back in the box training, any workout is better than no workout at all 💙💙